If anyone is interested in helping create a new site logo please email webmaster@allworxforums.com

PLEASE NOTE: Allworxforums.com is not owned, nor run by Allworx Corp. The views and opinions found on this forum are not necessarily the views of Allworx or the forum moderators. Neither Allworx nor the forum will be held liable for any information found on the forum. The Allworx logo and name is a registered trademark of Allworx Corp.

Remote Generic SIP Devices

General installation and configuration help.
doom1701

Remote Generic SIP Devices

Post by doom1701 »

Anyone tried this out? I've had no problem getting generic SIP devices like Linksys analog adapters working inside the network. And I've had no problem getting them working outside our network directly to one of our ITSP's (as long as a SIP Application Layer Gateway is running on the remote router). But I can't get audio when I connect a generic device to the external IP of the Allworx. It registers and even gets some information from the Allworx (ie, if I setup a generic SIP phone and dial an extension, the display on the generic device shows the appropriate name that I'm dialing), but when I place a call to another extension (which rings on both sides) and pick it up, there's no audio going in either direction.
justingoldberg

Re: Remote Generic SIP Devices

Post by justingoldberg »

Did you disable the sip alg on the remote firewall.
doom1701

Post by doom1701 »

I had forgotten about this post. You know the checkbox on the Handset setup that says "This device needs NAT traversal assistance" or something like that? The one that you look at and think "This should be checked for any device coming in remotely"?

Yeah, I forgot to check that. :)
Dozer42

Post by Dozer42 »

Any chance you could post details of a configuration?

We've been trying with all sorts of generic SIP clients and can't get this working, even inside the firewall.

We set up a Generic SIP handset, use a login ID of 5100, password of 5100, connect to the internal IP of 10.1.1.5.

But most Generic SIP clients are asking for a domain, and I have no idea what that would be (we don't use one).

If we leave it without a domain, it says it's connected, but neither incoming or outgoing calls work, even to a local handset.

If there's a set of instructions, please point me to it! =]

We have the 'Allworx CounterPath Xlite Softphone' guide, but it was written for Xlite 2.0, not Xlite 4.0.

(Allworx 6x, firmware 7.2 or so, Xlite 4.0, but we'll use any client needed).

Thanks!

Dozer@Dozer.com
justingoldberg

Post by justingoldberg »

Domain is the allworx IP address (it tells x-lite which ip address to allow incoming calls from, rather than trust every ip on the internet).

Put 404 (or *04 with the new flexible dialplan in 7.3) as the voicemail number.

btw, does anyone have the last version of xlite that supported multiple accounts?
philbud

Post by philbud »

doom1701 wrote:
> Anyone tried this out? I've had no problem getting generic SIP devices
> like Linksys analog adapters working inside the network. And I've had no
> problem getting them working outside our network directly to one of our
> ITSP's (as long as a SIP Application Layer Gateway is running on the remote
> router). But I can't get audio when I connect a generic device to the
> external IP of the Allworx. It registers and even gets some information
> from the Allworx (ie, if I setup a generic SIP phone and dial an extension,
> the display on the generic device shows the appropriate name that I'm
> dialing), but when I place a call to another extension (which rings on both
> sides) and pick it up, there's no audio going in either direction.

Hi All, I have exactly this problem when I try to connect via a softphone (X-Lite 4.1).

Can anyone help me with this please? I've been looking everywhere without any success.

And yes in the Handset section the option for the SIP account: This phone is behind a NAT/firewall and needs traversal assistance is checked

Thanks
justingoldberg

Post by justingoldberg »

Philbud,

As a test, bridge your provider's internet router, and only connect one computer to the router. If it's dsl install a pppoe app or use windows to login. Then your computer running xlite is on a public ip.

If it doesn't work, your provider is blocking voip, and you'll need to use a vpn, such as the allworx's vpn. Note that I wouldn't recommend having more than 3 or 4 softphones using the vpn (also it requires the VPN key to have more than 1 simultaneous vpn session connected)

If it does work, then forward the RTP ports for remote phones (5060 udp, 8081 tcp, and 2088 udp, and 16384 to 32767 udp) to the computers lan ip, and check that the routers SIP alg is disabled.

Undo the bridging when done testing.
SunLink

Post by SunLink »

Doh, I meant to post as a follow up to the "other" xlite thead. How do I delete a post? (aka this post) If a mod could delete this post please do.

I know this is an old thread but I was looking for the same information and found it here:
http://www.bestdealaw.com/kb_results.asp?ID=29

I just figured I would add the link in case anyone else was looking at the same issue.
Nick
justingoldberg

Post by justingoldberg »

SunLink, that's a good resource, so I'll leave it here.
Allworx6xCT

Post by Allworx6xCT »

This was helpful actually! I just downloaded Linphone on Windows 10 through MS Store and was able to successfully configure it as a generic SIP device. Pretty cool. I don't have a mic handy so I'll have to test it out at later point.

Thanks for posting.
~
Chris
__
Allworx Connect 536