If anyone is interested in helping create a new site logo please email webmaster@allworxforums.com

PLEASE NOTE: Allworxforums.com is not owned, nor run by Allworx Corp. The views and opinions found on this forum are not necessarily the views of Allworx or the forum moderators. Neither Allworx nor the forum will be held liable for any information found on the forum. The Allworx logo and name is a registered trademark of Allworx Corp.

Port 8080 and Sip Registration?

General installation and configuration help.
bigbangtech

Port 8080 and Sip Registration?

Post by bigbangtech »

I setup a 6x behind a customer's Verizon FIOS router/firewall as a lan host. During system setup, I temporarily was forwarding port 8080 from the public internet to the allworx 6x so I could remotely configure and debug. (I'm well aware of the importance of not leaving 8080 exposed to public internet permanently).

I had the firewall rules configured thusly:
1)Block 8080 from ALL Public IP's <> 6x
2)Forward 8080 from specific Public IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx <> 6x

This allowed me to remotely configure the 6x. All other necessary voip ports were forwarded through firewall to 6x

Using nexvortex sip (sip registration required). Problem is, could not receive incoming calls on 6x until I clicked "Register Now" under Outside Lines. Then incoming calls would work. But, the sip registraton would seem to "die" after a few minutes. Click "Register Now", and incoming calls would work.

This seemed very odd, I removed the firewall rule blocking public IP's from 8080 <>6x and this seemed to solve the problem - obviously the 6x is using 8080 in some way to stay registered with nexvortex?

So, I turned rule back on blocking 8080 from public ip's <> 6x, but added a list of nexvortex ip's that were allowed. Incoming calls work, and sip registration doesn't die after a few minutes.

I'm just very curious - does anyone know how port 8080 relates between 6x and sip registration / timeout???
liftow

Re: Port 8080 and Sip Registration?

Post by liftow »

When you click Register Now on the SIP Proxy, what is the expiration time listed as?

I had problems with voip.ms coming up as 60 minutes, but then dropping well before that. Other SIP providers I have used get setup with 5 minutes or less.
Never experimented with 8080 - it was always closed.

What does Nexvortex say (if anything)?