If anyone is interested in helping create a new site logo please email webmaster@allworxforums.com

PLEASE NOTE: Allworxforums.com is not owned, nor run by Allworx Corp. The views and opinions found on this forum are not necessarily the views of Allworx or the forum moderators. Neither Allworx nor the forum will be held liable for any information found on the forum. The Allworx logo and name is a registered trademark of Allworx Corp.

Remote Phones Choppy

General installation and configuration help.
Platinum

Remote Phones Choppy

Post by Platinum »

I have a 48x at a location with about 10 phones. All of those phones work perfectly. Never had an issue. They are with Comcast Internet and Cbeyond PRI for phone lines. The system is in Lan Host mode into a regular 24 port switch and directly plugged into Comcast internet.

We recently added a remote location that has 15 phones. Again through Comcast business. All of the phones are set up using the port forwarding as specified. No Firewalls, direct connections. Everything connects. I am having severe choppy voice during calls. The Remote phone hears the call clearly but the caller on the outside hears severe choppy voice. Also, Remote phone to Remote phone (ext to ext) is choppy. Remote phone to Local phone is clear. I have had Allworx Support check and verify the programming, Comcast loaded patches to their switch and checked programming. Still we are having issues. We can plug one phone in and it will go through clear but when we add the masses everything gets choppy again. We have checked our bandwidth and have plenty. I even raised it to see if that was the issue. Still Choppy! I am at a loss. Anyone who has experience with this issue, please help!

Thank you,
Denise
ryano

Re: Remote Phones Choppy

Post by ryano »

Denise,
We used a Comcast Business, and they are notoriously problematic for VOIP. Your problem is likely not caused by lack of bandwidth, but rather latency or packet loss on the Comcast network.

You could try to force the remote phones to use G.729 compression which would use less bandwidth, but likely you will still have problems and need to change internet providers to something with an SLA and guaranteed bandwidth such as a T1 Internet line.

Ryan
Platinum

Re: Remote Phones Choppy

Post by Platinum »

After many tests with comcast and adding QoS which made no difference, we set up VLans at the remote site. Everything works great now! Thanks!

Denise